Hampson, Richard Gordon
- Date of birth:
- May 2nd, 1921 (Wigton/Cumbria, Great Britain)
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Service number 169428, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
Richard Hampson was born in Wigton, Great Britain on May 2nd, 1921. Later was trained to become a pilot in Rhodesia. After his training, he flies Blenheims, converting to Baltimores in September 1943 and sees action in the Western Desert bombing troops, tanks and artillery. After a rest in the UKhe converted to the B-25 and he flew sorties over France. His last sortie was on May 1st, 1945 and was demobilised in november 1946.
He served as an Agricultural Officer in Uganda, and became a Special Constable in 1954, serving at least until in the 1960's.
Post WW2 decorations:
- The Colonial Special Constabulary Long Service Medal, E.II.R. engraved (MA/6 R.G.Hampson, Uganda.);
- Uganda Independence Medal 1962;
- OBE (Officer Order of the British Empire).
22nd October 1943: Pilot Officer on probation (emergency);
22nd April 1944: Pilot Officer;
22nd April 1944: Flying Officer (war subs.);
22nd October 1945: Flight Lieutenant (war subs.).
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Flying Officer
- No. 226 Squadron, Royal Air Force
- Awarded on:
- July 24th, 1945
This young officer has completed one tour during the North African and Italian Campaigns. On arrival in this Wing he immediately showed his worth as a leader and has led his Flight, his Squadron and the Wing on practically every sortie. With his Navigator, he forms a perfect team and will always be followed by all crews without question. His high spirits and eagerness to get at the enemy are infectious. Against the many heavily defended targets attacked during recent months, Flying Officer Hampson has shown the best qualities of leadership. No amount of opposition deters him. His example of determination, courage and inspired leadership in action deserve the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross."
- Photo 1: Keith Hampson
- Photo: Keith Hampson
- - Second Supplement to The London Gazette of 4th February 1944, Issue 36365, dated 8th February 1944
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette of 23rd May 1944, Issue 36530, dated 26th May 1944
- Fourth Supplement to The London Gazette of 20th July 1945, Issue 37192, dated 24th July 1945
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette of 13th November 1945, Issue 37351, dated 16th November 1945
- Supplement to The London Gazette of 31st May 1968, Issue 44600, dated 8th June 1968