Scott, Arthur

Service number:
British (1801-present, Kingdom)


Arthur Scott commenced his flight training in April 1941 at Fairoaks, Surrey, then transfers to Cranwell in June 1941, flying Oxfords, and then to Kinloss in September to fly Whitleys. Posted to 51 Squadron, Dishforth, Scott commenced his operational flying with a raid to Aachen on 7th December 1941, followed by an attack on Brest ten days later. Operations to Malta, Gibraltar and Yugoslavia, followed, and on the 27th March 1942 he participated in an attack on St. Nazaire. In April Scott transferred to 58 Squadron, St. Evall, and after a brief training spell on Wellingtons, to 179 Squadron, Skitten and Gibraltar. His operational tour was completed in April 1943 and he returned to Cranwell to instruct. Scott was posted to 38 Squadron, Benghazi, in 1944 and participated in various bombing and mining operations. In May 1945 he was posted to 78 O.T.U. and was demobilised in April 1946 having completed 1821 flying hours.

Leading Aircraftman
9 August, 1941: Pilot Officer (probation)
9 August, 1942: Flying Officer (war sub)
9 August, 1943: Flight Lieutenant (war sub)
27 April, 1946: demobilisation

Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!

Second World War (1939-1945)
Flying Officer
No. 179 Squadron, Royal Air Force (No. 179 Squadron, Royal Air Force)
Awarded on:
July 9th, 1943
"Flying Officer Scott has completed 500 hours of operational flying of which the last 380 hours have been in 179 Squadron. During this time his infectious enthusiasm and keenness on flying have been a fine example to the Squadron, and the efficient way he has drilled his crew has been responsible for their making one sighting and two attacks on U-boats in 11 days. The Coastal Command assessments of the attacks have now been received, and read as follows:-
The first attack was made at 22.20 hours on December 1st 1942, on a German U-boat that was patrolling off the African coast about halfway between Algiers and Oran. The Naval Staff state:- "A good approach and prompt action was taken on the somewhat unexpected sudden decrease in range ..... the underwater travel would take this depth charge on the U-boat's starboard bow, and No.3 depth charge would be off the port bow, both very nearly, if not quite, in lethal range of the foremost end of the pressure hull. Although no visible signs of damage were seen the U-boat would receive a very severe shake up." The Air Staff added:_ "I agree with the above remarks. It has always been difficult to assess night attacks but there is no doubt that the appearance of such aircraft and the accuracy of their attacks in general have been a very severe shock for the U-boats operating in the Gibraltar area. The second attack was made at 05.45 on December 9th 1942 on a German U-boat off the south east coast of Spain. The Naval Staff assessment reads:- "A very good approach and an excellent attack. Allowing 35ft. advance under water No.1 depth charge should have been lethal, but as so often mentioned before, searchlight aircraft have no chance of actually observing after effects. In view of these excellent attacks and of his courage and extreme devotion to duty, Flying Officer Scott is strongly recommended for official recognition.”
The Station Commander wrote: "Flying Officer Scott has completed a large number of operational sorties. His infectious enthusiasm and keenness for operational flying have set a fine example to the squadron and the efficient way he has drilled his crew has been responsible for their making one sighting and 2 attacks on U-boats in 11 days. As the result of the second attack the U-boat was probably destroyed."
Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
Second World War (1939-1945)
With "ATLANTIC" clasp.
Air Crew Europe Star
Second World War (1939-1945)
With "NORTH AFRICA 1942-43" clasp.
Africa Star


  • - The London Gazette Issue 35279 published on the 19 September 1941
    - Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35717 published on the 22 September 1942
    - Second Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36084 published on the 6 July 1943
    - Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36165 published on the 7 September 1943
    - The London Medal Company